A volcano does not only produce fire and red-hot larva. It can also produce ash, and lots of it.
This volcano in Kyushu is producing tons and tons of ash. There are many small particles, but there are also small stones which have enough force to cause very serious injury. The ash is covering nearby villages and towns, and destroying crops.
- Volcano Erupts in Southern Japan (abcnews.go.com)
- WATCH: Stunning Footage Of Japanese Volcano (huffingtonpost.com)
- What kind of damage can earthquakes and volcanoes do (wiki.answers.com)
- Volcano erupts in Japan, disrupting flights and train services (telegraph.co.uk)
- James Bond Volcano Rumbles Back To Life (news.sky.com)